Dyke House Sports & Technology College

Attainment and Achievement through Creativity, Collaboration and Character

Outside Agency Involvement

The first to be listed below is a link to the Hartlepool website for SEND.


Specialist individual support for parents, carers, children and young people who are involved in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment can also access information and support from HARTLEPOOL Information, Advice and Support Services . They can be contacted on 01429 284876 or email;

[email protected]

Independent Support (IS), for students and families under going statutory assessment, statement transfers, post-16 transfers, complex requests and for families requiring on-going support, is also available. Contact Sue Harrison on 01429 283095 or email; [email protected]

Dyke House Sports and Technology College works in partnership with a variety of outside professional agencies to meet the needs of individual students within our community. We value their expertise and work collaboratively to affect positive change for students who are facing particular difficulties. Some of the partnerships we have developed include:

Educational Psychologists

Our current Educational Psychologist is called Christine Sketchley.

Christine helps children throughout the school with a range of issues that, for example, affect their learning, concentration, attention and/or social communication and interaction.

Because there can sometimes be confusion (and even fear) about the role of an Educational Psychologist, it is worth explaining that, in short, the purpose of a school seeking support from an Educational Psychologist is so that she/he can contribute to the identification and assessment of a child's needs and recommend strategies and support arrangements which will enable the child to make progress.

Speech, language and Communication Therapists

Dyke House is in a very privileged position to offer access to a speech and Language therapist for 1 day per week as part of our extended service contract with the NHS service. Our current Speech and Language Therapist is Shona.

Speech, Language and Communication Needs

Almost everything we do involves speech, language and/or communication. Everyday tasks, learning, sorting out problems, having a conversation, getting a job, making friends and having fun all rely on our ability to communicate.

Being able to say what you want to say and to understand what other people are saying is the most important skill we need in life. Yet many people take communication for granted. Some children and young people have difficulty communicating with others: they have speech, language and communication needs - often referred to as 'SLCN'.

Speech refers to:

- speaking with a clear voice, in a way that makes speech interesting and meaningful;

- speaking without hesitating too much or without repeating words or sounds;

- being able to make sounds like 'k' and 't' clearly so people can understand what you say.

Language refers to talking and understanding:

- joining words together into sentences, stories and conversations;

- knowing and choosing the right words to explain what you mean;

- making sense of what people say.

Communication refers to how we interact with others:

- using language or gestures in different ways, for example to have a conversation or to give someone directions;

- being able to consider other people's point of view;

- using and understanding body language and facial expressions, such as: knowing when someone is bored, being able to listen to and look at people when having a conversation, knowing how to take turns and to listen as well as talk, and knowing how close to stand next to someone.

NOTE: If you are concerned about your child's speech, language and /or communication, please speak to your child's Learning Guide, Head of School or Mrs Dunston.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

CAMHS offer assessment and treatment when children and young people have emotional, behavioural or mental health difficulties.

To find your local CAMHS service:

1 speak to your GP or Assistant Head Teacher SENCO at Dyke House who can refer you

2 search online for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services in your area

Children and young people and their families can be referred to CAMHS if children are finding it hard to cope with family life, school or the wider world. If these difficulties are too much for family, friends or GPs to help with, CAMHS may be able to assist.

Types of problems CAMHS can help with include violent or angry behaviour, depression, eating difficulties, low self-esteem, anxiety, obsessions or compulsions, sleep problems, self-harming and the effects of abuse or traumatic events. CAMHS can also diagnose and treat serious mental health problems such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

How can we see CAMHS?

There are different ways to get an appointment with CAMHS. The most common is via your child's GP. You can also speak to the Assistant Head Teacher SENCO (Mrs Dunston) who may also complete a referral.

You candiscuss your worries about your child with their GP or SENCO. If they are old enough and feel able to do so, your child can see the GP or SENCO themselves.

It can be useful to write down what is worrying you before you visit the GP or SENCO, including how long the difficulties have been happening and anything you feel might be causing them. The GP or SENCO may be able to offer their own advice. If GPs or SENCOs think specialist help is needed, they can complete a referral to CAMHS asking them to make an appointment for your child.

Others who may be able to make a referral to CAMHS include:

- Health visitors

- School nurses

- Social workers

CAMHS are expected to work with children and young people up to the age of 18 . However, some services will only see young people aged 16-18 if they are in full-time education. Individual services vary, so ask the person you see at CAMHS at what age their service stops.

If your child is over the age at which their local CAMHS stops seeing young people, they will probably need to be referred to the adult mental health team, or to support services for older young people. Different areas have different ways of organising their services so it is best to contact your GP for advice.

Waiting lists for CAMHS vary and it is worth asking your GP or SENCO what the waiting time is like in your area, or contacting the CAMHS administrator directly.

In the meantime it can help to talk to your child and their teachers, GP or other people who support them, about how to help them while waiting for the CAMHS process to start.

NOTE: If you are concerned about your child's social, emotional or mental health wellbeing, please speak to your child's Learning Guide, Head of School or Mrs Dunston.

Visually Impaired Service, Middlesbrough

This Education service provides support for all children with a visual impairment in the Tees Valley area covering the Boroughs of Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Redcar & Cleveland and Stockton. This service is managed by Middlesbrough Council under a joint arrangement with the other boroughs.

The support and guidance is provided to the children and their families from diagnosis of the visual impairment and continues throughout the child's educational career.

Support may take different forms, ranging from a minimal support to enable a child to succeed in a neighbourhood school, to the support offered by resource facilities providing high levels of specialist staff and equipment.

At present the Service operates an open referral system to minimise the risk of a child being disadvantaged by their impairment.

Our range of help varies with individual need and can include:

- Pre-school visiting at home

- Parent and toddler group fortnightly

- Support to children in mainstream schools

- Support to children in specialist schools

- Support to parents and teachers

- Liaison with all professionals including medics, social workers, local and national support organisations

- Mobility training

- Touch typing skills

- Awareness raising and training

- Holiday opportunities for visually impaired children

Contact Details

Visual Impairment Service

Children's Service for the Visually Impaired

Sensory Support Centre

Whinney Banks Primary School

Fakenham Avenue



Tel: 01642 354353

Fax: 01642 354358

Susan Coulton - Advisory Teacher

[email protected]

Sharon Hull - Advisory Teacher

[email protected]

Alison Brown - Mobility Officer

[email protected]

Hearing Impaired Service, Middlesbrough

The Hearing Impaired Service is an educational service. We are based in Middlesbrough but provide support to children and families who live in the boroughs Middlesbrough, Stockton & Billingham, Redcar & Cleveland & Hartlepool. Middlesbrough is the lead authority in this arrangement.

Aims of the Service

The Hearing Impaired Service is staffed by Teachers of the Deaf who are specially trained in working with children who have an educationally significant hearing loss or Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder, which has been confirmed by a qualified paediatric audiologist or ENT consultant. It provides support for children and young people in Local Authority maintained schools up to the age of 19.

The Service aims to:

- Ensure that the audiological requirements of the pupil are met

- Work in collaboration with parents, teachers, support staff and all other relevant agencies to ensure that pupils with a hearing loss are fully included and have full access to a broad and balanced curriculum

- Promote effective communication

- Ensure acceptance of deaf identity

- Advise on appropriate special arrangements for formal and informal examinations and assessments including SATs and GCSE exams etc

- Work in partnership with parents/carers so they can play an active role in their child's development

- Promote a positive attitude towards deafness so that deaf children and young people have the confidence to reach their full potential


The Service accepts referrals from ENT consultants and paediatric audiologists. Parents and schools who have concerns about a child's hearing are advised that the child should visit their GP to discuss a referral to ENT/Audiology. The Service is able to provide informal advice to parents and schools at this stage.

ENT consultants and paediatric audiologists refer children to the Service who they consider to have an

educationally significant hearing loss. Such children have a

  • Confirmed sensorineural hearing loss
  • Persistent bilateral conductive hearing loss, which is not being treated surgically
  • Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder

Children's occupational therapy at North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust

The team of specialist children's occupational therapists and therapy assistants provide assessment, treatment and advice to children and their families in a range of locations including home, school or hospital clinics.

They assess and treat children who have long term health needs or problems with movement and co ordination.

They will make sure your child reaches their potential as they know how important it is to you and your child for them to become as independent as possible either with self care, activities of daily living, in school, in play, leisure and for them to be safe and have better mobility and co ordination.

The occupational therapists work alongside other professionals involved with your child to ensure a holistic approach to treatment and assessment.

Your child can be referred to us by any health care professional and some selected professionals in education (Mrs Dunston, Assistant Head Teacher SENCo).

The service is available from Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm. You may be asked to sign a consent form which will allow us to see your child in school at times when you may not be able to be present. Your child's occupational therapy treatment may include:

  • exercises
  • hands on therapy
  • equipment provision
  • advice and strategies to use at home or school to complement therapy
  • group activity to improve co ordination


You can contact the service Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5pm at University Hospital of Hartlepool

01429 522691

First Contact & Support Hub

First Contact and Support Hub (FCSH)

Here you can find local and national services around things to do, places to go and people to talk to, all in one place! This site is aimed at children, Young people, their families and any professionals who maybe involved with them.

Telephone: 01429 284284

Email: [email protected]

Website: http://hartlepool.fsd.org.uk/kb5/hartlepool/fsd/home.page

Hartlepool Parent Partnership

The Parent Partnership Service plays a key role in promoting positive relationships between parents, schools, Local Authorities (LAs) and others. This is important in enabling children and young people with SEN to achieve their potential. Hartlepool Borough Council set up the parent partnership service in order to ensure that parents of children with SEN are fully informed and involved in their child's education. Although the parent partnership service is part of the LA, it operates independently.

The service offers parents and carers the following:

? Independent support and someone to talk to in complete confidence.

? An explanation of matters concerning SEN.

? Information Leaflets about special educational needs.

? Help with filling in forms and expressing views.

? Someone to attend meetings with.

? Information about local support groups and voluntary agencies.

Telephone: 01429 266522

Email: [email protected]

Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5:00pm. Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm